Nurturing at the Sir John Colfox Academy is based around six key principles:
- Learning is understood developmentally, taking into account the development stage of our young people.
- Nurture is important for the development of well-being and this in turn involves listening and responding.
- All behaviour is communication.
- The classroom and school offers a safe base to our young people.
- Language is a vital means of communication with words being used to express feelings rather than actions.
- Transitions are significant in the lives of young people.
- These six principles are applicable to any age group within the Inclusion Centre and across the wider school.